[geeks] ps, top, etc.

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Tue Apr 18 15:22:44 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:16:55AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> That indicates that the idea came from V8 but that it only had implemented a
> part of the whole idea, and that it was Plan 9 where /proc was implemented as
> we know it today.

Yep, I think we can agree on that (and thanks for the info, BTW). V8 was
the first to implement the idea of processes being visible as a filesystem,
but the modern procfs in Solaris, *BSD, et al definitely owes more to Plan
9 and the later procfs of SVR4 than to V8.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/