[geeks] Is this true? (long life LCD monitors)

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Apr 15 22:40:40 CDT 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 09:30:27PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 05:20:34AM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > Compare that to $150 that a friend paid to get a "discount" bulb on eBay
> > for his DLP TV and had to pay an equal amount to get it installed.
> > And yes, he IS a rocket scientist.
>
> That's why we went with a 42" plasma as our christmas present to ourselves
> instead of DLP (lightbulb expense replacement cost), LCD (backlight burnout),

In my case I did the sums and decided that even including the new bulb
costs DLP worked out cheaper.

My 50" DLP cost about US$1650, with new bulbs going for about US$300.  The
bulbs have a life of about 8000 hours. Allowing for 2 new bulbs (ie,
24,000 hours, or over 16 years at 4 hours/day) that's still only US$2250
which is far less than an equivalent size plasma.

  Scott.