[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 5 15:30:26 CDT 2006

Sun, 02 Apr 2006 @ 00:08 -0500, der Mouse said:

> >> Yes...except you don't have the arrest and conviction rates; what
> >> you have is _one cop's idea of_ the arrest and conviction rates.  At
> >> best.  (You could actually have something more like what one cop
> >> wants you to think the arrest and conviction rates are....)
> > Yes, we definitely do have arrest and conviction rates.  It is
> > mandatory bookeeping nationwide.
>
> I guess I cut too much context.  The context here was that the poster
> (you, I think) was writing of talking to cops in *other* countries to
> get their arrest and conviction rates.

I've not met any or heard of any that don't have similar requirements. The US
and the UK are of course closer to one another than Europe, but I don't think
you'll find that cops there don't keep case data.

As far as analyzing the data properly so you don't count multiple arrests
incorrectly (among other things), that's elementary statistics.

Maybe you don't know this, but it isn't uncommon for US and European cops to
work together, and even work in each other's country from time to time. I
don't just mean Interpol operations either.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in