[geeks] Need input

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Apr 3 17:08:13 CDT 2006

Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> I'm in the process of putting together a new server at the house (my
> current one appears to be crashing every three hours...possible disk
> issues, possible Adaptec controller issues...not sure as the panic
> locks it up pretty tight every time).  I'm looking at putting
> together an Intel box because I've already got some parts -- case,
> CD, floppy, cables, SCSI controller (qlogic), etc.). I want a Pentium
>  4 (or AMD Opteron) system, around 3 GHz with about 1-2GB of RAM.  I
> was wondering if anyone on the list had specific recommendations for
> motherboards (the current case has an ABIT motherboard in it but it
> appears to be fried because the box does not boot at all...no BIOS,
> no nothing).  Anyway, I'd like some input before I buy something.

IMO the only possible option is an Intel P4-based system.  99.9% of the
single-CPU AMD motherboards out there are geared towards gamers - no
64-bit PCI/PCI-X slots, massive number of x16 PCI-E slots that haven't
been tested with anything but a video card, etc.

One of these Socket 939 (aka dual-core Opteron 1xx and single &
dual-core Athlon 64) boards from Supermicro would be good *if* you can
get one - they're OEM only, although they show up on eBay on occasion:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT1000/H8SSL-i.cfm
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT1000/H8SSL-R10.cfm

I've had the pleasure of using these boards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121211
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813182032

This would be a good one as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813182067