[geeks] Education

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Sep 29 14:43:12 CDT 2005

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Mon, 26 Sep 2005 @ 23:52 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:
"
" > How many cases of "ADHD" are "need to go outside and run around"?
"
" For the most part, attention deficit disorders are fabricated bullshit.
"
" 99.9% of what is labeled ADD is more properly called "being a child".
"
" Among adults, it is usually caused by being intelligent and surrounded
" by mindless drones.
"
" Real, genuine problems with attention deficit are mostly likely pretty
" rare.

it is real though.  one of my close friends - smart enough to work at
bell labs, where i met him - definitely has it.  his mother has it,
possibly worse than he does.  he says his grandfather had it.

you can't talk with him for more than 5 minutes without noticing his
add.  that he functions on the level he's achieved is remarkable.

" Giving a child a drug is simply much simpler and more profitable than
" doing real parenting and teaching.

that is sadly true too.

" I remember the first year they forced us to do PE and play sports during
" recess.  I thought it was stupid then, and I still do.  That time should
" be for the kids to do as they please.  We already had an hour of PE, and
" I never gained anything from being forced into sports (or anything else
" for that matter).

i was always happiest when i got out of structured pe, and when my hs
in an uncontrolled attack of sanity allowed alternative exercise
instead i biked to school [6+ mi each way] and was in better shape
too.