[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 29 13:29:53 CDT 2005

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 @ 22:43 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> It means that one slice filling up
> doesn't mean the whole rootdisk is full.

This is the primary issue right here.

Outside of specific data storage paths (Oracle, MySQL, Apache, etc),
your /tmp and /var paths are the most common places for programs to run
amok and eat space.

> And, prior to some late update
> in Solaris 9, it was really the only way to get the most out of ufs
> logging, as ufs logging on / was considered harmful.
>
> One gigantic partition works well for some people, I guess.  I've had
> much better luck splitting things up.  Granted, it's not a big of a win
> as it is on something like AIX or HPUX where LVM is more than an
> afterthought, but it's still not an outmoded idea.
>
> > I think you'll find that Sun have a fair idea how to run our own OS...
>
> When Sun stops shipping Java installers for things that will ONLY ever
> run on a specific platform of Solaris[1], or they start tidying things
[snip]

Amen brother.

It's pretty funny for someone to claim Sun knows how to run their OS
when many parts of it are nearly unusable.

One would think that if Sun really did know how to run their OS, they
would have long ago fixed some the horrible bugs that are now getting
older than some of Microsoft's Windows bugs.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.