[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Thu Sep 29 13:37:25 CDT 2005

>> -static- binaries in /sbin
> Static binaries are pointless.

Strongly disagree.

Static binaries have the property that they still work just the way
they always did, even if other files get trashed.  (The flip side of
this is that they still work just they way they always did, even if
libraries get improved.  There are other benefits and disadvantages to
each too; which side wins depends on the environment.)

> (Static librarys are even worse - not just pointless, they are
> dangerous and cause more problems than you could imagine)

Funny, I haven't seen any of those problems and dangers, and I've been
using them for...well, since before (Unix) shared libraries existed.

Perhaps you're confusing "dangerous and problem-causing in certain
circumstances" with "dangerous and problem-causing"?

I wouldn't recommend static binaries - or .a libraries - for every
circumstance.  But I certainly wouldn't recommend against them for
every circumstance either.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca