[geeks] Phone system suggestions?

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Sep 27 09:31:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 06:23, Nate wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Eric Railine wrote:
> Hmm, are VOIP phone systems like Asterisk typically run over the same
> physical TCP/IP network as the LAN?  I'm really a newbie when it
> comes to VOIP stuff like that...

One school of thought says "two separate LANs" another says "one LAN, but with QoS to ensure VOIP gets its packets in a timely fashion".

> about once every three months one of two x86 Intel P4 machines with
> onboard Intel ethernet running Windows 2000 and XP have locked up
> solid and as long as they are plugged into a switch, in this case
> either a managed or unmanaged Netgear switch, it hoses all traffic on
> the switch.  Turning off or rebooting the locked machine of course

Check the firmware levels of the switch to see if there is an update.  Also see if there is a newer driver from Intel that can be installed on the client boxes.  If that doesn't work, get a new switch.

--Patrick