[geeks] Phone system suggestions?

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Tue Sep 27 06:36:08 CDT 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Nate wrote:

> Hmm, are VOIP phone systems like Asterisk typically run over the same
> physical TCP/IP network as the LAN?  I'm really a newbie when it
> comes to VOIP stuff like that...

The Nortel BCM400 we use at work uses the regular lan. It's only a problem
when one of the Nortel switches (Passport something or other) flakes out
each month (it's like clockwork, every 30 days, but the systems guys don't
seem to realise it) and we lose the phones until/while the switch reboots.
At least it means that when there is a problem no one can call to
complain. I'm just glad it's not on my network. I haven't had a serious
issue on my network since we dumped the old 3Com switches and moved to
Cisco.