[geeks] [rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Sep 24 21:18:20 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 22:12, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > I don't know.  I still think Objective C might be better than C++.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly.  It may be weird and different, but it's still
> less messy than C++.

There is a good interview with the creator of Objective-C out there somewhere.  He points out that C++ is faster than ObjC by about 10% in terms of function call overhead.  But in return, ObjC gives you a lot of stuff "for free".

When I worked at selling Nextstep software, a lot of customers were custom app developers, like trading desk, internal apps at big companies, etc.  Supposedly, the CIA is/was a large purchaser of Next machines because of course, there is no off the shelf software for what they need.

McCaw Cellular (later became ATT Wireless I think?) was a heavy user.  MCI used Next for their original Family and Friends plan (early 1990s).

--Patrick