[geeks] Education (was: Mainframe on eBay)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 22 11:07:29 CDT 2005

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 @ 04:26 -0400, Michael Schiller said:

> I used to whole heartedly believe that schools can't replace good
> parenting, and that parents should have a greater responsibility in
> their child's education. That was back when I lived in more
> metropolitan areas (NYC suburb, and Ft Laud FL). Now that I live in a
> rural area, I've seen ignorance on a level I once wouldn't believe
> still existed in the US! I've met many people that are illiterate but

That's interesting, because I can't think of any place where I've seen
more ignorance than in NYC.  It's a mix of intelligence and brain-dead
stupidity.

What you see in people depends a lot on location.

There are plenty of rural areas where the people can run circles around
anyone in NYC with little effort.

I live in Tidewater, Virginia and we have some of the best engineers in
the world here.  At the same time we have people that can barely slobber
on their own.

> amazed. I don't know if that's only a country thing, or if it's
> common in cities as well, but that was the first time I'd ever heard
> of it!

This all sounds like country mythology to me.

Most rural areas aren't like that.

Where you see things like this for real, it is usually the product of
isolation, which occurs just as often inside large metro areas.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]