[geeks] why packages arrive well worn...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 13 23:09:03 CDT 2005

Last week I ordered some PC parts from newegg.

Here is the tracking information so far:

9 Sep		1517		leaves City of Industry, CA
9 Sep		1657		arrives Los Angeles
11 Sep		0130		leaves Los Angeles
11 Sep		1325		arrives Memphis, TN
12 Sep		2201		arrives San Diego, CA
13 Sep		1250		arrives Indianapolis, IN
13 Sep		1506		leaves Indianapolis, IN

I just found that shipping route a little bit interesting.

The 24 hour plus delay in LA, and then going to Memphis before appearing
in California again, and then back east.

Tracking error?  I figure someone scanned a number wrong in San Diego,
or would they really backtrack like that?

Perhaps it had to transfer to a plane that had to hit CA before going
east, and it was just scanned on the plane before it left for PA?

Anyway, just something to wonder about while I wait for package arrival.

Aside:

Package tracking has certainly changed the traditional wait for mail
order items.  I remember ordering things as a kid and predictions were
pretty inaccurate, and of course most places didn't even give you a
date.  I rarely waited too much for my packages because there wasn't
much point.

Package tracking has ruined everything... :)

Of course, it was a lot more "interesting" 20-25 years ago when floppy
drives were $300, and shipping arrival time and damage were random
factors in many cases.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in