[geeks] Recommendation for RJ45 crimper tool?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Sep 13 22:34:32 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 07:11:10PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> Hi
>
> I will be buying a box of Cat5e, jacks, etc. to make my own ethernet
> cables, and while Radio Shack has an RJ45 crimper tool, was wondering
> if the list had a recommendation for a better one?

If their RJ45 crimper is anything like their RJ11 crimper I got from
them years ago, I'd probably skip on it, was only good for about a dozen
or so crimps.  If you're going to be doing lots and lots of cables,
the better crimpers are definitely worth the extra money.  I think I
paid about $45 for mine from a local shop, but some days, I've wished
I'd gotten the nicer AMP set for ~$80.  But mine works fine for the
occasional patch-cable.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org