[geeks] Problem booting G3 B&W

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:33:05 CDT 2005

On 9/7/05, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have ideas?  Should I send it back to the seller and request a
> > replacement Mac?  Should I try an ATTO SCSI card and drives first?
>
> If you have to buy one, then get an IDE controler. They are around $70
> new. If you get one the firware understands than you can put up to a 120gig
> drive in either model. However if it's a second model, I would just
> put a smaller drive in it and see what happens.

But if he already has an ATTO card that will work in a Mac, this will
give a big performance gain, especially over the stock IDE.  I have had
zero problems with using SCSI disks (even through frankenstein-like
cable conversions to match connectors) on older Macs.

There are some ATTO cards that just won't work with new Macs/OS X
even if they are PCI, though.  I found ATTO tech support to be helpful
even on the unsupported products--as in, ID'ing models based on
numbers printed on cards, and sending firmware updates to flash
older cards to the latest available for OS 9, etc.

=Nadine=