[geeks] Web based mail client for linux?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 26 16:03:12 CDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 03:48:12PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> So you are asserting Google blew $100M to invest in a technology that
> doesn't work and cannot work just to cover up that it's infeasible,
> rather than possibly to improve it?  Wow, that's a great business model,
> especially since Google's continued success really doesn't hinge on the
> success of BPL.

It's part of Google's new policy since their new CEO took over. User their
success to take over the internet. BPL is just one more way of making
the internet a Google Adsense world. They are taking over public WiFi
and print ads too.

> And they would make these improvements without funding, I assume?
> Since, apparently funding something that isn't ready for prime-time is
> Bad?

There are several technologies that can be used. The company they invested
in, Current Communications, is one that promotes the dead end, interference
causing technology. Others do not, but Google did not invest in them.

> I don't really care either way about BPL.  It's likely going to be
> consumer-grade crap for which I'll have no use, but implying that not
> getting a GMail account is going to magically make BPL better is lunacy.

Why is it lunacy? Would you support a company that invested $100,000,000
in gun control? Outlawing private automobiles? Not only don't I use a gmail
account, I don't use Google to search, look at their videos, read news
groups from their servers, or look at websites that have "ads by google."

Nor do I patronize advertisers who I find out use "ads by google".

If enough people did that, their revenue would suffer and they would
back out.

> Considering what has happened in the US recently, any head-of-household
> that doesn't have a way to filter water and a few months' supply of
> dried storable food is an idiot.  We cannot rely our local and state
> police because, as we saw in la.us, FEMA will spend their energies
> confiscating guns and sending the locals off to sexual harassment
> training while the donated food and water sit in storage lots
> unconsumed.

> BPL is -way- down the priority list in that particular scenario.

Then how do you expect to communicate?

I can't speak for the blunders of the people in the U.S., but one would
hope they can learn. What they can't do is turn off BPL once it gets
a foothold.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.