[geeks] Web based mail client for linux?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Oct 26 15:48:12 CDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> The difference is that so far, every test of BPL has shown it to cause
> both unacceptable interference and poor performance. Google along with
> two other companies invested $100,000,000 in BPL. With an investment
> like that, you can afford a lot of failed tests, uneconomical
> operation and lobbyists.

So you are asserting Google blew $100M to invest in a technology that
doesn't work and cannot work just to cover up that it's infeasible,
rather than possibly to improve it?  Wow, that's a great business model,
especially since Google's continued success really doesn't hinge on the
success of BPL.

> If everyone who benefits from HF radio communications would boycott
> Google, they would drop their investment and it would send a message
> to the other companies to stop it or improve it to the point where it
> really does not cause interference.

And they would make these improvements without funding, I assume?
Since, apparently funding something that isn't ready for prime-time is
Bad?

> If you aren't a ham, or don't listen to shortwave or use a CB, or
> watch TV channels 2-6, don't think you will not be affected. If you
> use a national park, live outside a large city and have a police or
> fire department, would like the protection of your state police or
> assitance from any emergency services agency or NGO (Red Cross,
> Salvation Army), etc during a disaster, by supporting Google, you are
> preventing them from communicating more than a few miles.

I don't really care either way about BPL.  It's likely going to be
consumer-grade crap for which I'll have no use, but implying that not
getting a GMail account is going to magically make BPL better is lunacy.

One would also hope that any technology that -can- interfere with
emergency communications is mandated to have a gigantic off-switch, much
like Congress and FEMA seem to think the Bill of Rights has when it
might "interfere" during an emergency.

> Considering what has happend in the U.S. recently, are you willing to
> put your life and the lives of your family in danger so that someone
> can make money selling bad technology?

Considering what has happened in the US recently, any head-of-household
that doesn't have a way to filter water and a few months' supply of
dried storable food is an idiot.  We cannot rely our local and state
police because, as we saw in la.us, FEMA will spend their energies
confiscating guns and sending the locals off to sexual harassment
training while the donated food and water sit in storage lots
unconsumed.

BPL is -way- down the priority list in that particular scenario.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We know more about security than anyone else in
Elgin, TX          (    the world."      --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO