[geeks] Web based mail client for linux?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Oct 26 09:46:06 CDT 2005

>> At 1:24 PM +0200 10/26/05, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:10:29AM -0400, Michael Kaegler wrote:
>
>> However I would like to join the rest of the world and use a web
>> based email client.
> [...]
>> Anyone have an suggestions for other software?

> I like horde/imp.
> Other popular ones include squirrelmail (ok) and neomail (eh).
> I believe they're all IMAP solutions.
> -porkchop

Personal experience, I've used all three.  Hord/imp seemed like overkill
for just the webmail bit.  We had it at $job-1 for offsite mail access,
but it was missing some feature that my users kept requesting, I don't
remember what it was, but Squirrelmail had it, so I switched over.
NeoMail works, doesn't require any IMAP or POP, it just reads the files
off the filesystem.  SquirrelMail requires IMAP, but you can build
security around it to prevent any problems.

I've been using SquirrelMail on bl.org for my users that don't want to
have to use a shell and mutt/pine/whatever for a couple of years now,
they all seem to like it pretty well.  It's PHP based, should run fine
in Apache 2.  There are also lots of plugins available for it, shared
calendars, bookmarks, filesytem access, etc.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org