[geeks] Anybody having FIOS yet?

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Oct 25 14:08:20 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 07:40:06PM -0400, Atomist wrote:
> Been having it for 1 1/2 month now and love it. PPPoE sucks but don't
> want to pay the extra bucks for a static ip.
>
> But hey 5MBit down / 2MBit up is really fun. Can download @ 550kb/s
> while uploading at 190kb/s and nothing slows down.

I have it, and overall am very happy with it.  I've been using a
Linksys WRT54G as the PPPOE device, since Cisco seems to have
dropped PPPOE support from the software version on my PIX-515e, and
since I didn't like the D-Link thing they gave me.

I did not switch any POTs lines over to FIOS, so have credit card
billing, since there is no associated phone bill for the FIOS charges.

My only technical complaint so far is that the IP addresses
I've been assigned are lacking in-addr.arpa (reverse) DNS.
Occasionally someone out there will configure a web server to perform
DNS lookups on connecting IPs, in which case I sit waiting while the DNS
lookup of my address times out.  I have no idea how to express this in
a language that their support people will be able to understand and
escalate.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)