[geeks] OS X on x86

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 21 21:15:09 CDT 2005

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 @ 12:12 -0500, Phil Brutsche said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > BTW, I meant PCI as the chip interconnect, not just the expansion
> > bus.
>
> Either way, you need the 915/925 or 945/955 chipset to use PCIe, and
> very, very few people make socket 478 motherboards with those chipsets ;)

...of course, nVidia and VIA might decide to do it, at which Intel will
say "Damn!" and also do it.

At least, that seems to be how it usually works out.

> > It's a dual CPU board, the P4Dual-915L. They now have an LGA775
> > version.
>
> It's not dual CPU, no socket 478 solution can be.  The chipset doesn't
> support it, the CPUs don't support it.  The "dual" stands for the dual
> graphics solution (AGP & PCIe) with very very poor card compatibility.

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/P4Dual915gl.htm

That's a dual socket 478 P4 board from ASRock America.  Newegg.com sells
them, and users have posted their experience running them.

If this is a hoax, a lot of people are involved and have spent a lot of
time and money on it... :)

I think you are hung up on what the *INTEL* chipset can do.

The other players often put things in chipsets that the reference set
doesn't do.

For example, look at all the AMD options now that AMD once said "Thou
shalt never see!"

> > I don't see any technical reasons this can't be done though. CPUs
> > change so fast, manufacturers always have to work hard go glue the
> > system chipsets to the CPUs.
>
> No, there aren't any technical reasons why not, but there are lots of
> other reasons why it's not done... I'm sure it's 99% muscle on the part
> of a company whose name starts with "I".

That was my thinking.

They much rather you have to buy new stuff.

AMD might force them to rethink that position.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]