[geeks] OS X on x86

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Thu Oct 20 12:12:07 CDT 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> BTW, I meant PCI as the chip interconnect, not just the expansion
> bus.

Either way, you need the 915/925 or 945/955 chipset to use PCIe, and
very, very few people make socket 478 motherboards with those chipsets ;)

> It's a dual CPU board, the P4Dual-915L. They now have an LGA775
> version.

It's not dual CPU, no socket 478 solution can be.  The chipset doesn't
support it, the CPUs don't support it.  The "dual" stands for the dual
graphics solution (AGP & PCIe) with very very poor card compatibility.

> I don't see any technical reasons this can't be done though. CPUs
> change so fast, manufacturers always have to work hard go glue the
> system chipsets to the CPUs.

No, there aren't any technical reasons why not, but there are lots of
other reasons why it's not done... I'm sure it's 99% muscle on the part
of a company whose name starts with "I".

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com