[geeks] Cocoa

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Oct 8 13:30:04 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 13:33, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> That would be a fun book to have even if it doesn't totally cover what I
> want.
>
> I think that is the Nextstep book that I used to check out of the
> library repeatedly wishing that I could someday get my hands on one of
> those machines.
>
> BTW, would you mind checking in your copy to see if it says anything
> about mouseMove events? Other books I've looked at have covered mouseUp,
> mouseDown, and mouseDragged, but not mouseMove.

It has this to say about mouseMoved events:

The mouseEntered: and mouseExited: events are sent to the "owner" object specified by the setTrackingRect:inside:owner:tag:left:right message.  The mouseMoved: and mouseDragged: events are diffferent form other events because they are sent continuously, and therefore tend to drag down system performance.  Use them only when necessary.  (You can usually get around the need to catch mouseMoved: or mouseDragged: events by overrriding other methods in the Cell or Control classes, or by creating your own modal loops.)
===

Hope this helps...

Patrick