[geeks] Solaris 10 x86

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:45:27 CDT 2005

I could probably post about this to the sunhelp list, but figured I'd
probably get more of the answers I was looking for here... :)

I have several servers running FreeBSD and am contemplating moving to
Solaris 10 x86. Mostly this is because I'm a little leery of how
FreeBSD development is progressing (lots of core developers no longer
seem to have time to fix critical issues), and Solaris 10 has neato
things like containers that seem more fully developed than FreeBSD's
jail.

However, I'm really going to miss the FreeBSD ports. Sunfreeware is a
good bootstrap, but it only gets you so far.

Anyone have any pros/cons for Solaris 10 x86, and advice about
gotchas? My primary servers are Dell PE2850's (PERC 4e/i) and I have
some HP NetServers (no RAID). They're used for web serving (Apache,
PHP, MySQL/Postgres). I'm installing a test server in my basement now
on a HP NetServer LP1000r, and will start playing with it
tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks!
Bryan