[geeks] camcorder recommendations

Atom rescue at port11.net
Mon Oct 3 05:11:38 CDT 2005

> My wife and I are expecting v2.0 in about a month and I'd like
> to buy a camcorder to send baby pictures to family.
>
> My last video camera (which recently broke) was a full-sized
> VHS unit of about 1985 vintage and was well used so I'm not
> new to video cameras.
>
> I'd like one of the new digital type so I can burn the results
> to DVD.  (I have a DVD burner already)
>
> So far I'm thinking I want MiniDV format, firewire xfer to
> computer, a fairly reasonable optical zoom (6x or better) and
> some sort of image stabilization since it's digital.
>
> Any suggestions for features or brands to go for or avoid?
>
> Cost is definitely a factor.

You can get cheap ones in the $300 range. I'd go with a Sony.
If you have a few more bucks ($5-600 range) you can get a JVC with a built
in harddisk. They come in 4gb - 30gb flavors (I saw the 20gb one at around
$550 recently). No more need for a tape with that one. Model was Everio
GZ-MG20.

Also if you buy online be careful. The cheaper stores usually rip you off
(import camcorders with no warranty and such). Read their reports before
you buy.

-- atm