[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:09:06 CDT 2005

On 9/29/05, der Mouse <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:
> > The problem is that a lot of programs will certainly hang or even
> > crash if their path fills up, and rooting everything at / makes this
> > far more likely.
>
> ...in some environments.
>
> In others, the contrary holds.  I've run systems both ways, and I've
> had more problems with filesystems filling up and causing trouble when
> using the split-up model.
>
> Of course, I think this is an artifact of what kinds of systems I tend
> to sysadmin for, but that's my point: neither answer is valid
> independent of the environment.

Which is my point--with nothing but system logs (e.g. syslog, sendmail,
etc) in /var, and root being 10G, there is no way in hell this is dangerous.
There's only 1 box in our enviro that pushes out more than a dozen emails
a day, and syslog messages, even with hardware problems aren't going to
fill it up *that* fast.

Horrific web logs & app logs are put elsewhere.

I object to "one size fits all"--that's why I use *nix in the first place!

And also why I maintain that email, calendaring, and are the other
junk tossed into Notes, Outlook, &c, &c is not The Right Way.  Do
you buy an all-in-one lathe, bandsaw, circular saw, belt sander, &c
if you are a cabinet maker?  Do you buy that one crescent wrench
and never buy sockets, open-ended wrenches, &c. if you are a
mechanic?  All-in-ones tend to be sub-optimal.  They might do in
a pinch if you are stuck carrying just one tool.  But who wouldn't
rather have the right tool for the job?

=Nadine=