[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:57:52 CDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Thu, 29 Sep 2005 @ 14:55 -0400, Nadine said:
>
> > My personal fav is NetForensics requiring a "full" (e.g. everything-
> > software dev tools) of DeadRat as a "supported configuration".
>
> Ouch.  That's pretty insame.
>
> I am amazed at how poorly library dependence is done in modern operating
> systems.
>
> Simple programs end up with huge lists of dependencies, unless you
> complete forego everything in a particular framework.

I looked at the security guy and said, "XFree86 on a HIDS?  Seriously?
Wait until we try to patch that to keep up with vulnerability fixes."

I seriously hate the fact that they bought this without checking to see if
it also ran on Solaris.  It does, but only UltraSparc--and they already
bought the x86 hardware.  Dammit.

Another interesting tidbit is the close to $1mil worth of network hardware
we found in a storage closet...it was for the new datacenter--but they
bought it before checking with the telco provider...who doesn't support
it.  It's been collecting dust since 2002.  Your tax dollars at work!

=Nadine=