[geeks] Education

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 1 11:49:47 CDT 2005

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 @ 13:50 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:

> From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
> > >

> > > Agreed.  However, eliminating homework doesn't serve students either.
> > > Almost nothing can be learned well without practice.
> >
> > But should homework scores impact final grades if the student gets a
> > perfect score on all the tests?  That was always my problem.
> >
> > Peace...  Sridhar
>
> If the student doesn't do, it should!

Why?

The purpose of a grade is to show what you know.

Grading a student down for homework who has demonstrated he has learned
is just plain wrong, period.

Of course, the whole idea of using grades as a permanent metric is
rather dumb in the first place, but let's at least do what we claim to
be doing.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any