[geeks] [rescue] Video card request

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 28 08:12:00 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:54:54AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Because of this, I'll probably never take the chance on buying another
> UbiSoft game.  There's also a good chance I won't buy Halo 2 when it
> comes out, despite how much I liked Halo, because it was such a bloody
> battle getting Halo to work.

I've had similar problems with other games. Since they require the original
CD to be in the drive when they start, the CD eventualy becomes so damaged
(by a 10 year old) from taking it out, putting it away in those horrible
vertical stack boxes and putting it back in that you can no longer install
it from the CDs.

This does not sound like a problem until you have a hard drive crash,
or an "oops, I deleted the wrong file". :-)  The first time it happened,
I had to find a bootleg on the internet to re-install the game, the second
I just copied it with clone-cd before my son installed it.

You can install from the copies, but not run the game. This does not
bother me as the game will run with a CD that is damaged in the middle
and will no longer install.

What really caused a problem was an older game, sold here as a re-issue
in a Hebrew box, with a Hebrew instruction pamphlet that would not work if
you had a CD or DVD burner. The original disk had to be in a read only
drive. Luckliy Clone-CD had a way of getting around it, because how do you
explain to a 10 year old that he just spent two month's allowance on a game
that won't run on his computer.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.