[geeks] [rescue] Video card request

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 28 07:45:02 CST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:35:43AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

(moving to geeks)

> It won't play at all on my Athlon64-system, apparently because SafeDisc4
> is in denial about the existence of an optical drive in my system.  It's
> a perfectly good NEC ND-3520AW, but no SafeDisc4-protected game will
> play on it.  I'd like to go kick these copy-protection idiots in the
> nuts; not only are they preventing legitimate buyers from playing their
> games, they're *forcing people* to use hacks and cracks and pirated
> versions, and they're too damn stupid to see it.

That's what killed the Amiga IMHO. The games were great, but they were
so heavily compressed that it took forever to load them from a floppy.
One, "The Killing Game Show" by Psygnosis was a great game, but it took
10 minutes to load.

It was also so heavily copy protected that the floppies went bad after
playing it a few times, so you HAD to make "backup" copies or loose your
investment ($50).

I just decided that if I had to pirate the game, or make "nibbled" copies
of it just to play it, it was not worthy of my money. So I stopped buying
their games for both the Amiga and PC.

What totaly killed it for me was the day I got a hard disk for my
Amiga 2000. I could load regular programs "instantly", but to load the
games I had payed big bucks for, I had to find pirated versions without
the copy protection. I then decided it was not work it to me at all....

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.