[geeks] Walgreens software, was Quicktime 7 Pro missing stuff?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 26 11:37:45 CST 2005

Mike Hebel wrote:
> Is anybody able to open a .mov file and export it to something else with
> Quicktime 7 Pro?  I can't seem to even be able to get the Export menu to
> appear when I have .mov file open.  It works with other formats but it
> doesn't seem to work with actual Quicktime file.

My problems with Quicktime is that two installations on two different
Windows machines has failed.  On one machine it hangs in the installer,
on the other it simply will not run.  Nothing I've tried seems to help,
and from what I've read other people see the same two issues.  I think
the software is just broken, or maybe the installer is.

I might just forget it, and use something else.  The interface sucks,
and it is a resource hog most of the time.  It also does stupid crap
like install qttask.exe *EVERY DAMN TIME IT RUNS* even if you turned it
off, makes HTTP connections and runs scripts embedded in video files,
and has DRM.

If you get the pro version, are things any better?  I can't imagine
paying for Quicktime Pro unless it is a rather large improvement in
those areas.

It would be nice if we could get video players that just played video,
and did so reliably.

Going off-toptic, but related in spirit: I just saw the latest release
of Quicken for Windows.  This is a paid-for commercial software program,
and the user interface is jammed full of advertisements.  They are built
into the features of the program.  For example, use certain functions
and you are basically sent to a GUI advertisement that uses a fee based
service.  Same thing is showing up in image processing software too.

I think software has reached the Walgreens stage: the point at which
every program ties to be every other program and also tries to
constantly sell you stuff, upgrades included, just as now every store
tries to be every other store, and bombards you with ads even though you
are already inside.

...and people wonder why some of us still use things like nroff.

A sick mind could have some fun with vi and nroff though...

.PP
Years ago the \fBprinting\fP press was a tool only a few could use,
./"
./" Did you know that you could print this via www.webeprinting.com
./" for only $24.99 per ream?
./"
./" Copyright 2005, We Be Printing, LLC
./" This notice and all accompanying text may not be printed or
./" reproduced in any form without the express written consent
./" of We Be Printing, nor does it constitute an agreement that
./" we will provide printing services.  If printing is done from
./" Groff, your lpr client must provide a WBP v1.2 license header
./" indicating your content is not GPL, or we will be unable to
./" process the print request.
./"
but now is quite common in nearly every household.