[geeks] HP announces EOL for AlphaServer systems

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Nov 12 15:18:57 CST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:01:39PM -0500, Nick B. wrote:
> They were just difficult to deal with, and very picky about warrenty
> verification.  WD was very laid back, and easy to deal with.  Most of my
> experience RMAing drives came from work at a small computer shop, where
> I handled all RMAs for several months, and as I said, my experience with
> Seagate just sucked, they'd make me fax them invoices which we'd bought
> drives on, while WD just said "yep, in our DB, it's our drive, under
> warrenty, ship it back, we'll ship you a new one".

Never had a problem RMAing drives with Seagate.  I've exchagned probably
a half-dozen in my life, got even easier when they put it all online and
let you verify warranty status on the website.

When deja.com went under, I picked up 2x 'box of hard drives' for $75ea.
They were all Seagates, 4 & 9 gig scsi, all but one of them was still
under warranty.  Sold them off for $10/gig, which was a decent price at
the time.  A couple of them were dead, I RMAed them before I sold them,
no problems, no questions, just replaced.  One of the drive manufactuers
insists that you run their diag software on the drive and send them the
diag code before they'd RMA it.  That was a pain, esp when the drive
wouldn't even spin up.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org