[geeks] Can I netboot...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Nov 9 14:41:36 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 02:40:45PM +0100, Arno Kletzander wrote:
> "Anthony" <geeks at litfire.com>wrote:
>> Essentially he's just frustrating himself in public instead of mowing
>> lawns or shoveling snow or building web pages for hire because he
>> prefers to try to figure out how to do things the hard way rather
>> than just get the job done.
>>
>> I can appreciate taking time to pull off a cool hack, but nothing
>> involving Windows 95 on a P90 is a cool hack.
>
> Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>wrote:
>
>> (Quoting the above That's for sure. (...                            )
>
> Okay, that's enough - I'll quit violating the list's coolness
> threshold for now. Must remember that my own definition of coolness is
> obviously not dogmatical enough to be adequate here :-(.

It's not really that your project isn't cool enough for us here, at
least, I don't really think that's all it.  The core of your problem is
that the networking stack in Windows 95 just isn't up to the task you're
asking of it.  Win9x just wasn't a server platform, even XP Home would
do a better job than 95.

If you want to do sparc programming and netboot it, you're simply
going to need a different boot server than an old Microsoft offering.
Hardware of your vintage isn't going to run newer MS OSes very well,
and if you insist on sticking with them, you might want to give NT 4.0
(sp6a?) a shot.  You'll have much more flexibility in doing server-like
work than 95 is capable of.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org