[geeks] Can I netboot a SPARCclassic from Win95 box?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Nov 8 04:39:31 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 11:21:09AM +0100, Arno Kletzander wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> We already had this thread some months ago and it was declared that the
> problem was the unavailability of a machine capable of answering RARP
> requests on my network.
>
> I couldn't find a server that would easily integrate into the environment
> I'm used to.

What exactly do you need? There are RARP deamons for Linux, BSD, Windows
and obviously Solaris.

To net boot you need more than an RARPD, you also need a bootparam deamon
and a tftp deamon. This is just to get the bootloader loaded and then you
need an NFS sever to load the real kernel.

This does not have to be an X86 box, Linux runs on many platforms and
BSD on many more. You might even be able to get something going on
a Machintosh runing OS X.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.