[geeks] Finally! A USB "Model M"

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 3 19:11:37 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, velociraptor wrote:

>> Pity that it's not yet available with the Correct Key Layout.  I'll
>> probably get one in any case and just use xmodmap.
>
> The Matthias TactilePro uses the same key switches and is USB.

The TactilePro uses Alps keyswitches, which are a nice second to the
buckling-spring switches that the Model M used.  The TactilePro (and
Apple Extended I before it) is more like the Northgate Omnikey and the
Dell and Gateway knockoffs thereof.  It's a very nice mechanism, but
just not as responsive.

My biggest complaint about the Apple Extended I (and Extended II) were
that the keys didn't feel like they traveled far enough.  That might be
fixed on the TactilePro, but I haven't had enough time on one to see one
way or the other.

I guess I just need to design a USB interface kit for my Selectric and
be done with it. :)

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "someone set us up the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."
Elgin, TX          (                                           --jimmy