[geeks] Home Wiring - thoughts?

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed May 11 10:36:29 CDT 2005

    Lionel> I am preparing to move to a new house in a few months, and
    Lionel> the finances are such that I have gotten approval to "wire"
    Lionel> the house professionally* - ....

Consider analyzing each room for what I call "isolated wall segments",
i.e. wall areas separated from other walls by doors, archways, closets,
etc., that would make it nasty to run cables along the floor to reach.
Then put a full set of drops on each of those segments.  Even small
segments may warrant a set of drops, as they may be a very likely place
for a printer stand, or a phone table, whatever.  Make sure you have
power in the vicinity of your data drops, one without the other may be
quite useless.

Another reply mentioned speaker wiring, at very least rooms where you
might consider having surround sound systems need to have speaker wiring
between any isolated wall segments.

--
David L. Kindred
Unix Systems & Network Administrator