[geeks] Home Wiring - thoughts?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed May 11 07:45:24 CDT 2005

Having just done my house and finding myself wishing I'd done more, here
are my suggestions.

Pick two corners in each room opposite from each other. Each corner
should be a spot where *something/anything* could possibly go. This
means that if a door is in the corner, nothing will ever go there. Don't
base it on where you think you would like something to go at this date,
as it will probably change over the years.

In each corner place 2 data, 2 phone and 2 video. Also place 2 speaker
jacks. Using modern wall jacks this can be done in one single-gang
wallplate.

"home-run" all the wires, incl. phone to patch panels in the basement.
Don't "daisy-chain" anything. By using modular patch panels you can
build very nice patch systems cheaply.

In many homes, doing this yourself is not a biggie. Ranch homes and
homes with basements make it especially easy.