[geeks] From a local mailing list

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue May 3 19:49:42 CDT 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> That's the OEM edition.  You aren't licensed to run OEM software unless
> you purchase it with a computer (or some substantial component thereof,
> like a system board).

It's also worth mentioning that an OEM license is tied to the machine it
was purchased with.  It is non-transferrable, and cannot be installed on
any other PC.  This means, when you replace the machine, you have to buy
office again.  OEM licences are designed for home users who want to get
all the software they need with the PC, and won't upgrade until they buy
a new PC.  (/me just went through an Enterprise License agreement with
MS.)  Bottom line, buy the retail box, becuase if you're going to be
illegal, there's no reason to spend money doing it.  (Also, if anyone
out there is buying more than 5 copies of MS software, you should be
buying it with a Open License agreement, not retail or OEM, you'll get
better pricing)

    -Dan Sikorski