[geeks] From a local mailing list

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 3 13:38:04 CDT 2005

Tue, 03 May 2005 @ 12:14 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
> >>Please state your lowest asking price, and bear in mind that today a
> >>brand new "Office 2003" (which includes Word 2003 and other great
> >>programs) only costs (with warranty) about $150.
>
> "warranty"!  *cough*
>
> Sure.  I can buy a brand new Office -upgrade- for about $200, but not a
> full version.

The new versions, yes.  He said the 2003 version, which I've seen at
computer shows for $100.

I don't see why this guy doesn't just order online somewhere.

Microsoft generally can't police the OEM versions either, which cost
about $25.

> Inferior?  I suppose being lighter in heft and providing almost
> exactly the same functionality is "inferior", by PC standards.

Don't know what he meant by that.

However, prior to Word97, the Windows versions of Word really was worse
than the 97 version.  I rather use 97 than most of the newer versions as
well.

Of course, I don't much like any of them.  I always felt Word Perfect
and others were better for the job of banging out words than Word ever
was.

I think the largest amount of work I've done was with TeX and nroff.
It's just much easier when the documents get large.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]