[geeks] security-conscious backup

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Jul 28 13:55:16 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:44, Michael Schiller wrote:

> Are you really sure you want to have data on your machine that you
> can't read? In this day of 'homeland security' departments, etc. and
> the paranoia that goes along with it, if you have files on your
> machine that you can't read, how do you really know they're tax
> related files? Maybe they're databases of terrorists in the country,
> or maybe they're kiddie porn, or whatever. If they're on your
> machine, they're technically your problem if 'Big Brother' decides to
> take a look at you or your computers.

Fair enough to point this out, however:

A. I have known the guy and his family for over 10 years
B. He is an enrolled agent with the IRS (he can represent someone in Tax Court)
C. He does tax returns for businesses and some folks with money.

So he too, needs to be paranoid (B and C).

My liability is reduced in that there is no possible way to know what is in the files... same as a storage place, they can show that you agreed to follow the terms of the contract where it says that you agree to not store "any nuclear explosive devices, grenade launchers, dangerous chemicals or Happy Fun Ball" .

--Patrick