[geeks] AMD Opteron, building, mounting CPU w/o retention frame

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:21:20 CDT 2005

I'll say Ill be running Solaris on this system to keep it somewhat on
topic :-)

So I'm building a dual Operton workstation..

Just a quick question:

I bought two Cooler Master E2U-K65CS-01
(http://ecd.coolermaster.com/files/pdf/E2U-K65CS-01.pdf). It appears
when using the retention frame (Above motherboard) supplied with a Tyan
K8SE, the things dont come to close to meeting up with the processors,
they lay flat across the retention frame, so I'd say, almost 1/4"
clearance from top of processor to heatsink!

Can I mount these coolers directly to the retention bracket (the bracket
on the rear of the board with the holes coming up through the board)
using the supplied spring screws.. or is it bad not to use a frame?? But
i don't see how??

Otherwise, why the heck doesent it work with the retention frame, or am
I missing a vital step here or something?

-- Aaron