[geeks] Mail relay

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 18 09:48:22 CDT 2005

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: Mon Jul 18 07:48:38 CDT 2005
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Mail relay

>Get this:  almost all "T1" lines are now provisioned with SDSL equipment ... so the same line that carries Verizon's $29.95 per month DSL service is the same one that they get to charge $599+ per month for when it is provisioned as a T1.

Well, Verizon doesn't offer 1.5 Mbit/sec up and downstream DSL for $29.95/month - I got download speeds approaching 1.2-1.3 Mbit/sec and upload speeds of around 384 Kbit/sec.

"DSL" service includes internet connectivity, but I didn't think a basic T1 from a telco did (thought that was a separate distinct offering, but commonly bundled together for convienience)...

If I could get true "T1" level service commitments from Verizon for $29.95/month, that would be a good deal, but not as good as FiOS:

 - 5 Mb/sec down, 2 Mb/sec up for $39.95/month (less $5 combined with residential phone service)

 - 15 Mb/sec down, 2 Mb/sec up for $49.95/month (less $5 combined with residential phone service)

 - 30 Mb/sec down, 5 Mb/sec up for $199.95/month (less $20 combined with residential phone service)

Those are the best offers I've found...