[geeks] Google invests in BPL

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Jul 13 19:18:57 CDT 2005

> Current (the company Google funded) does not use the ham bands now. As
> time goes on they will have to. Demand for bandwidth will increase and
> there is no other place to go.

>From the tests I've read about in the US the BPL used all of the spectrum
and only tried to put "filters" on when complaints came in.  Then the
"filters" never really did their job.  I think the "will not use ham
bands" is the same sort of garbage as "the filters worked" when they
didn't.  It took a lot of work to show the FCC that the companies that
the companies involved were not being truthful.  This goes along with
"the O-rings are flexible", "the tires were at fault" and other such
pronouncements to cover the truth.  Electrical lines are not coax
like they'd like you to believe.  I one article I read it seems BPL
hovers around 1 Mbps and doesn't cover the distance of DSL without
repeaters.  See July 2005 QST, pg 56 and check the references and
websites.  Interesting reading.
BTW, my ham radio signals can interfere with BPL.  That's
something they never figured on.  That is also a security concern
that nobody has addressed.

Bob