[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Jonathan Groll jonathanjg at wo.co.za
Wed Jul 13 17:09:07 CDT 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:11:43PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
>

>>Did you actually notice any difference using the optimised builds? It
>>does have me confounded as to why it requires optimisation. Surely, web
>>browsing is not too system intensive, and this is firefox not mozilla
>>after all?
>>

>They were a little faster (builds were optimized for the G4 or G5
>rather than the G3, which is the target the "official releases" are
>built for).  However, there's been enough speed increase in the mainstream
>code by this point that I dont really notice the difference between
>the official releases and the optimized ones anymore.
>
>Another feature of the optimized builds was tweaked prefs (pipelining,
>max simultaneous connections, etc).  I take care of that with the Tweak
>Network Settings extension, or by twiddling about:config by hand.
>
>I just wish Firefox on the mac was as snappy as it is on the PC though 8-(
>
>Bill

Probably because your mac, like mine is an aged G4 in need of an OWC
processor upgrade perhaps?

On a similar note, it will be enlightening to read what speed
improvements there will be when os x runs fully natively on intel
(without rosetta), logically it just makes sense that the fastest Ghz
intel chip is faster than the fastest 2.7? Ghz G5

It is thrilling that soon we should be able to finally accurately
compare apples with apples... or intels..