[geeks] OSX 10.4.2, FireFox 1.0.5 out

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jul 13 16:08:33 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:11:43PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> Did you actually notice any difference using the optimised builds? It
> does have me confounded as to why it requires optimisation. Surely, web
> browsing is not too system intensive, and this is firefox not mozilla
> after all?

They were a little faster (builds were optimized for the G4 or G5
rather than the G3, which is the target the "official releases" are
built for).  However, there's been enough speed increase in the mainstream
code by this point that I dont really notice the difference between
the official releases and the optimized ones anymore.

Another feature of the optimized builds was tweaked prefs (pipelining,
max simultaneous connections, etc).  I take care of that with the Tweak
Network Settings extension, or by twiddling about:config by hand.

I just wish Firefox on the mac was as snappy as it is on the PC though 8-(

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas