[geeks] SGI Sadness

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:47:44 CDT 2005

On 7/10/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> SGI made other more important mistakes that were not related to that.
> Also, not everything is SGI's fault.  The computer industry as a whole
> is more than a little bit screwed up.

Like all the low-number badge-holders who thought SGI owed them
something and sat around collecting fat salaries doing nothing.  And
keeping "C" staff around who did completely inappropriate things like
dvr'ing themselves (using company equipment, to boot) boffing their
subordinates in the office.

Or, building a cool server architecture (mix-and-match modules w/
the only rule being @ least one of CPU, I/O, and graphics) that
didn't fit the 19" rack standard of all modern data centers.  If you are
a leader, you can get away with that.  If you are trying to rescue
your server sales, you better make sure there are zero barriers to
entry.  Reconfiguring a datacenter is a huge barrier to entry IME.

(First-hand stories from someone working @ SGI circa 2000.)

My take--I'm surprised it took this long.

=Nadine=