[geeks] SGI Sadness

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 11 10:53:04 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 10:27:15PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> I was going to say "Belluzzo" but other people went along with it.
> And why they never sold $2000 graphics cards for PCs I don't
> understand, either.

I thought they did at one point (though it may have been more than
$2k).  I seem to recall seeing both an ISA and a MCA personal Iris
graphics card set.

> But I think their biggest mistake was abandoning the low-end.  They
> had the $5000 Indy at a time when a decent 486/DX2-66 was $2500.  Then
> they abandoned any sales under what, $15K?  That lost them seats and
> more importantly lost them volume.

Well, they had the O2 which was $5k base price, but that was too late to
help much, especially since RAM was expensive for it and 64megs in the
base was ludicrous considering it only ran Irix 6.x and that it used a
UMA design.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net