[geeks] SGI Sadness

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jul 10 14:44:07 CDT 2005

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 @ 06:05 -0400, James Fogg said:

> And lost them mind share. Who pays attention to an obscure data-center
> queen that demands lots of cash and specialized talent.
>
> Sometimes I think most of the "success" of the IA32 is due to its
> familiarity. From the desktop to the server its all the same.

Bingo.

That's why I am frustrated at companies like SGI and Sun treating the
hobby market like a disease.

They should be actively promoting it, giving free licenses for the OS
(even we have a fairly powerful machine), because that keeps their
machines on the minds of people that influence buying decisions at work.

This has a lot to do with Microsoft's success, and it has to be said
that this is part of the drive for Linux at the expense of things like
*BSD, Solaris, etc.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]