[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 5 19:28:09 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 19:46, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >I mean who knows, that's just what I read.
>
> Well, *someone* owns the machines, I suspect Dell buys the machines from the builder Just In Time. Heck, the builder may even *store* the systems in a Dell facility until Dell buys them, and the sales might be to move otherwise idle inventory.

Dell requires their suppliers to keep stock in a warehouse near the Dell factory.

Twice a day, the manufacturer will get an order from Dell (maybe more than twice a day for a large supplier).  Only when the item moves from local warehouse to Dell's factory does the item enter inventory.

This way, all the costs are pushed onto the supplier, and Dell has virtually no inventory while still being able to be sure they will not run out of parts.

--Patrick