[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jul 5 19:20:27 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:46:11PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Well, *someone* owns the machines, I suspect Dell buys the machines from the builder Just In Time. Heck, the builder may even *store* the systems in a Dell facility until Dell buys them, and the sales might be to move otherwise idle inventory.

Dell *is* the builder.  The Austin-American Statesman (I think it was) had a
really nice feature/tour of the Austin-area assembly plant (where my system
shipped from) a year or more ago.

I'm thinking that 95% of systems ordered are built-on-demand, but for
configs that are a weekly special they may have a few pre-built to the
various order options and sitting there "ready to go" - I can't imagine
that they built, tested, and shipped this box in < 12 hours.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas