[geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 5 18:46:11 CDT 2005

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: Tue Jul 05 17:18:19 CDT 2005
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Ultra 20 thoughts

>There is something else too that makes me wonder about them being prebuilt.
>
>Pre-built inventories are something that a lot of businesses want to avoid.

Pre-built inventories are not neccessarily bad, *owning* that pre-built inventory is bad...

>There was an article from IEEE that talked about just-in-time
>manufacturing in the computer industry, one of the benefits being
>reduced inventory of "stock" system configurations.
>
>Dell was one of the examples.
>
>I mean who knows, that's just what I read.

Well, *someone* owns the machines, I suspect Dell buys the machines from the builder Just In Time. Heck, the builder may even *store* the systems in a Dell facility until Dell buys them, and the sales might be to move otherwise idle inventory.