[geeks] mac geek question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 16 11:15:55 CST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, velociraptor wrote:

> Yes, a reliable geek buddy told me about RAM problems on an x86 box so
> he put it through torture testing--and opened the case because of an
> odd smell.  Doing so revealed glowing traces on the RAM sticks.  I do
> not recall the manuf. at the moment.

I smell an urban legend.  Assuming this is dynamic memory, it was
getting refreshed, anyway, so it's not like additional gets/puts to
memory will increase the voltage flowing at it.

More than likely, if that actually happened, he had a bad power supply.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with [-fomit-frame-pointer]
Elgin, TX        (  cause it was recommended...as I don't care if a program